Monday, March 18, 2013

And then there were cattle....


Part 2 of the start of the farm....
White faces from a few years ago.

A year went by and I got the “honey, we should get some cows”.  My answer - NOPE!  NOT HAPPENING!  We knew nothing about cattle and were still very new to the horse thing that I didn’t think it was a good idea.  My husband would still bring it up now and again and finally one Sunday while I was doing a photo shoot consult there was a knock at the door.  It was the farmer neighbors from down the road who we buy hay from.....and annouced that our steers were here and where could they unload them.  WTF!!!  I flew off the handle!  (Thank god my photo consult was a good friend otherwise I might not still have them as a customer.)  I went outside cursing my husband, I was SOOOOO furious!!  I couldn’t believe that this was happening!!

A jersey that we raised up bottle
feeding dressed up for a contest as
Marilyn Mooooo-nroe.
They unloaded them into the horse corral which was where they were suppose to stay until they settled down and learned the electric fence.  Well, apparently one had no intentions on staying in there.  Have you ever seen a steer jump?????  Well he did that day....He jumped over the 5ft high boards smashing them to pieces and proceeded to run straight through the fenced in pasture with the horses chasing him.  Do you think he stopped when he got to the gate on the opposite end?...nope....kept right on going busting through the gate and into the second pasture.  HOLY CRAP - there goes $700 running away!  &#$^#(%(!!**%#&#*(%)%*@&^#@%#@*Q%(&*%(#*&%(Q*#^%#@*&^*@$^*&#^%#^%&)##!*@  (I think the farmer neighbors learned some new words from me....all profanities!!  The one even commented that I might have scared the other from dating!).

Since he ended up in the second pasture (or so we hoped....), we were told just to leave him and let him settle down.  And that if we didn’t see him in a few days that we might have to go “hunting”.  The next day we spotted him at the fence line and let him back in.    So that is how we got into beef cattle!  

Stay tuned for more...still have goats, bees and chickens to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment